Crappie fish is one of the most loved delicacies, thanks to its delicate taste.
However, the challenge is that this fish is always tiny.
It calls for one to have the best fillet knife for crappie to cut it with precision.
An excellent electric knife will come in handy for perfect cutting work.
Fillet knives cut with precision, separating the meat from the bones.
They make the entire process appear very easy and seamless.
However, choosing the best knife is not easy.
You need to know what to look for.
In this article, we have done our research and identified seven great knives for this task.
Best Fillet Knives For Crappies & Panfishes (Updated List)
- Best fillet knives for walleyes
- Best fillet knives for redfishes
- Best fillet knives for trouts
- Best fillet knives for bass fishes
- Razor Sharp Stainless Blades – All new KastKing knives utilize...
- The Right Knife For The Job - The 6”, 7” & 9” stainless curved...
- Non-Slip Super Polymer Grip - We use the most comfortable and...
KastKing is one of the best electric knives for crappie in the market.
It features a G4116 razor-sharp German stainless-steel blade that has a stunning black finish.
Many chefs love this product because it can maintain its edge for a very long time.
Thanks to the stainless steel blade, this model is good for both fresh water and salty applications.
The handle features a non-slip polymer grip, which makes it safe to use even with wet hands.
The handle is also effortless to clean, and it retains its attractive look for a long time.
This product is highly durable. It will serve you for many years.
KastKing is also among the most affordable brands in the market.
Moreover, it comes with a protective sheath that ensures that your blade stays safe.
Lastly, you can get this product in various lengths, depending on the job that you want to use it for.
- Blade is corrosion-resistant
- A non-slip handle
- It comes in 6, 7, and 9-inch options.
- It comes with a protective sheath.
- May bent if you use a large amount of force on it.
- G4116 German Stainless Blades – The razor sharp G4116 German...
- Available in Four Different Lengths and Shapes – Calamus filleting...
- Non-Slip Golf Style Handles – Each knife has a comfortable and...
A razor-sharp knife for crappie that features a beautiful blue Teflon finish.
The blade is of a G4116 German stainless steel and is corrosive-resistant.
The product is very efficient and retains its edge for a long time.
You can get it in four different lengths and shapes to cater to the type of job you want to do.
The handle features a non-slip golf-style rubber, which makes it safe and comfortable for you to use.
This product is also among the best choices for panfish.
Its handle offers you a solid grip to ensure you are comfortable even with wet hands.
Lastly, it features a protective Nylon sheath to ensure that your blade remains safe.
- It comes with a Nylon Protective sheath.
- Blade is corrosion-resistant
- The handle has a solid grip.
- Lightweight handle
- Usable for both fresh and saltwater applications
- Not safe to wash in a dish
- Legendary Mister Twister action
- Features 120V AC
- Features a Convenient blade release
This product will give you pleasantly significant control and speed. It features a very powerful but silent motor.
It has a convenient and quick blade release coupled with razor-sharpness. As such, your filleting process becomes easy and quick.
The handle of the Mister Twister 120V is both lightweight and comfortable. It thus offers you great control and maneuverability.
This is one of the best electric fillet knives for panfish.
The one challenge you will encounter with this model is that you have to connect it to a power source. You may not be able to use it outdoors if you have no source of power.
- Features heavy-duty gears
- Very budget-friendly
- Has a safety lock
- Offers great control
- The motor is very quiet
- Lifetime warranty
- Not for use in wet conditions
- The coil cord is relatively short.
- Fillet with Ease: Whether you're out for a mess of crappies or that...
- Fillet Season After Season: This American Angler Delta Series Fillet...
- Fillet in Comfort: Enjoy a fishing season that's tough on the fish and...
American Angler Delta is a German stainless steel knife.
The product is low maintenance since it comes razor-sharp and maintains its edge for a long time.
You can also trust this model in terms of durability. It is highly durable and will serve you for a long time.
With this product, you will enjoy a filleting session that is very comfortable on your hand. The knife’s Santoprene handle gives you both a perfect grip and comfort.
You will also get different blades for this product. As such, you can comfortably carry out any filleting work.
It comes with a one-year warranty.
- A secure grip
- Maintains its edge for a long time
- Very durable
- It does not include a sheath.
- DIMENSIONS: 11” overall length with 6” blade
- EASE OF USE: Non-Slip Grip handle for outstanding grip security...
- RELIABLE: Features safety guards for protection from the blade and...
The Bubba 6-inch knife offers you extreme flexibility and a highly thin blade. These two features make this among the most versatile ones.
The handle is non-slip and offers you an outstanding grip. Consequently, you will have the ultimate control.
Moreover, the handle also features a trigger grip, which helps to enhance security.
This product also offers you protection from the blade. It features safety guards that ensure your hand’s protection from both the blade and the fish spines.
If you are looking for precision cutting, this product offers you the best. It allows you to maneuver effortlessly and remove meat.
The blade is also Ti-Nitride coated to ensure it is rust-resistant. It also features a very sharp tip, which makes your starting of a cut breeze.
- The sheath has a loop for carrying around.
- Has a sharp tip
- Thin blade for easy maneuvering
- Relatively pricey
- Stainless steel fillet knife with patterned, high-friction handle;...
- 6.1-inch blade is versatile enough for most sizes of fish; slotted...
- Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel is known for its razor sharpness, high...
This Morakniv Comfort is a decent choice. The high friction ensures that you get an outstanding grip as you work on your fish.
The blade comes in two different lengths of 3.5 and 6.1 inches. The 6.1-inch blade has a higher versatility.
The product comes with a plastic sheath that has two belt clips. As such, you can easily carry it around.
The blade is of Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel, which makes it razor sharp. Moreover, the blade is tough, corrosion-resistant, and has high hardness.
- Dishwater safe
- Good handle grip
- High versatile blade
- Features a sheath
- It comes with only one blade.
- FISH FILLET and DEBONING FOLDING KNIFE - Slim, lightweight, easily...
- BLADE - 5" Razor sharp 440A stainless steel. Fully extend overall...
- GREEN / BLACK HANDLE - double-molded Zytel handle features rubberized,...
This Outdoor Edge features a 5-inch razor-sharp blade.
The blade is also stainless steel and thus rust-resistant.
It features a double-molded Zytel handle that is rubberized. As such, it is non-slip and offers you a secure grip.
The product also features a black nylon belt sheath, which helps to secure your blade.
This product is easy to use, and the belt case is very lightweight. It also has a razor-sharp blade, which makes your work very effective.
- Razor-sharp blade
- Good quality
- Easy to use
- The sheath has a pocket clip.
- Might take some times to get used to
If you want to buy the most suitable knife for the job, look for the following features:
Blade sharpness, size, and material
The blade is a critical part of an electric knife. It determines how well you will do your cutting.
Consequently, the size of the blade and the material it is made of are crucial.
From time to time, your blade will get exposed to water. Continued exposure, especially to salt water, can cause corrosion to your edge. Consequently, choose a blade that is of rust-free material.
Also, choose something that has a razor-sharp blade. A sharp and flexible blade easily follows the contours of the fish, giving you the best results.
The size of the blade is also critical. A short blade is ideal if you are cutting a small fish. However, if you are handling a big fish, a blade of 6 inches or more might be necessary.
A comfortable and non-slip handle
The handle of an electric fillet is critical. You need a handle that is not only comfortable but also non-slip.
You may have to handle the knife with wet hands at times, which may cause your hands to be slippery. A non-slip handle will ensure you have total control of your knife.
Fillet knives come with handles of different materials. Some are of wood, others of rubber, while others are of plastic. Irrespective of the material you go for, ensure the handle offers you a firm grip.
A lightweight handle is also a factor to consider. Using a lightweight handle makes your work easier and more effective.
Tips for cleaning a crappie
Filleting a fish without the skin is the easiest way to clean crappie. This method spares you from having to scale the fish when cleaning.
To achieve this, you will require:
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- Freshwater for rinsing the water after cleansing
Follow these simple steps:
Place your crappie on the cutting board and hold it by the head. Put the knife behind the pectoral fin and the gill cover.
Move the knife until you feel the backbone, but do not cut the backbone.
While at the backbone, turn the knife towards the crappie’s tail. Let the backbone guide you so that you cut between the top and bottom fins. End your cutting slightly above the tail, leaving the fillet attached to the fish by the skin only.
Turn the fillet you have cut for the flesh to face up and the skin down. Slide your knife between the flesh and the skin of the fish, down the whole fish length until you separate the fillet from the skin.
Having separated the fillets from the fish, place it on the cutting board. With precision, cut between the flesh and the ribs, then throw away the ribs.
You can get the second fillet by repeating the process.
What is the best knife size for filleting crappie?
The size of your catch will determine the size of the knife blade. If your crappie is small, go for a short blade; otherwise, go for a longer blade.
Are all fillet knives for a crappie dish washable?
No. Not all are dish-washable. Some require you to clean them using your hands.
Why can’t I use a normal butcher’s knife here?
A normal knife lacks precision. Most fillet knives are razor-sharp right from the tip, which makes them very effective.
Is a plastic handle ideal?
If the handle is non-slip, then it is ideal, otherwise not. A plastic handle also ensures no odor remains on the knife.
What is the best material for the blade of a fillet crappie knife?
Most knives have a stainless steel material. However, ensure that the blade is corrosion-resistant before you buy the product.
Which is the best fillet knife for crappie?
All the products we have reviewed in this article are good and will serve you effectively.
How do I sharpen my knife?
Sharpen the blade in the opposite direction.
In conclusion, the best fillet knife for crappie should have a non-slip handle to allow you total control.
It should also be razor-sharp and have a corrosion-resistant blade.
We have reviewed for you the best there is in the market. Make your choice well.
- Best Fillet Knives For Crappies & Panfishes (Updated List)
- Buying Guide
- Tips for cleaning a crappie
- What is the best knife size for filleting crappie?
- Are all fillet knives for a crappie dish washable?
- Why can’t I use a normal butcher’s knife here?
- Is a plastic handle ideal?
- What is the best material for the blade of a fillet crappie knife?
- Which is the best fillet knife for crappie?
- How do I sharpen my knife?