When shopping for German kitchen knives, one of the best brands out there is Henckels.
They have been around since the 1800s and are based in Solingen, Germany, a city with an incredibly rich tradition in making knives and blades.
But since they’ve been around so long, there are so many different lines and collections to choose from, and making the choice can get pretty tough.
So to make things easier for you, we’ve compiled reviews of some of the best Henckels knife sets on the market today.
We take a close look at their features, pros, and cons in this article, so if you’ve been hunting for a Henckels knife set, you’ve come to the right place.
Read on to learn more.
Best Henckels Knife Sets (Updated List)
Reasons To Buy From Henckels
This is the main reason Henckels is such a good brand.
Whether their blades are stamped or forged, you can always expect them to perform at the highest level.
You can rest assured that just about any Henckels knife you get your hands on will be razor-sharp and a joy to use in the kitchen because of the brand’s close attention to detail with any of their products.
Variety Of Choices
You have a lot of choices when it comes to Henckels.
You can either get their premium and professional kitchen cutlery made by the Zwilling J.A. Henckels company, or the more budget-friendly options from Henckels.
They have a very wide variety of choices, which is why the brand is loved by home chefs and professionals alike.
The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is Zwilling blades have the twin logo while Henckel’s models have a single icon only.
But regardless of which knife you choose, as long as they’re under Henckels, you’ll know that they’re very high-quality.
1. J.A. Henckels International Statement 15-Piece Set
- Set includes 3 inches paring knife 5 inches serrated utility 7 inches...
- Fabricated from high quality stainless steel. Handle Material: Plastic
- Single piece Precision stamped blade construction provides durability
The first collection on our list is a large set that contains all the essentials and then some, making it a great pick for any home kitchen.
On top of all the essential kitchen knives, this set also contains six steak knives, shears, honing steel, and a wooden storage block.
The blades are precision stamped, which makes for a very light and sharp blade that is also surprisingly durable.
On top of that, the blades have a satin finish which not only gives it a beautiful look but also allows for smoother cutting and slicing.
These are full-tang knives, so you can expect them to be very balanced in the hand, and the ergonomic handles make your grip on the knife even more comfortable, giving you a lot of control.
And since they are stamped blades, it also makes the blades much more affordable than a lot of the other collections out there.
All in all, this is a great pick for any home chef looking for a complete and high-quality collection on a budget.
- Comes with all the essentials and more
- Beautiful wooden storage block
- Relatively affordable
- Precision-stamped blades make for a very light knife
- The blades might be too light for some cooks
2. J.A. Henckels International Statement 14-Piece Self-Sharpening Set
- Stylish brushed stainless steel cap and stained ash wood base...
- Tailor-made for the J.A. Henckels International Statement knife...
- Self-sharpening slots that sharpen each time a knife is removed or...
If you want a high-quality knife set but don’t have the time to regularly hone and sharpen your blades, this could be the right pick for you.
It’s a fairly large 14-piece set that contains all the kitchen essentials including steak knives, shears, and a storage block.
But the highlight of this collection has to be the built-in sharpeners in the knife slots.
So that means you can maintain the edge of your blades and sharpen your knives whenever you put the blades in or pull them out of the block.
On top of that, the block has an ash-wood base and a stainless steel cap which gives it a very modern, yet rustic aesthetic.
The slots in the block also have indicators for which knife goes in where so you won’t risk putting a blade in the wrong slot.
So if you’ve been on the hunt for a collection of knives that you don’t have to sharpen regularly, this self-sharpening set could actually be the right one for you.
- Comes with a self-sharpening block
- Professional and modern aesthetic
- Razor-sharp right out of the box
- Comes with sheards and steak knives
- This isn’t the most durable set out there
3. J.A. Henckels International Forged Premio 19-Piece Set
- Knife Set includes 3" Paring Knife, 3" Hollow Edge Paring Knife, 5"...
- This set comes complete with a wood knife block with an elegant Cherry...
- All knives, except the steak knives which are stamped, feature a fully...
A lot of the knives that come from the Henckels brand are stamped, which is what keeps them affordable.
But while stamped blades can still perform pretty well, they still can’t beat the durability that comes with most forged products.
So if you’ve been looking for a forged set this could be the right pick for you.
It’s a very large set that contains all the essentials you would need, including eight steak knives, kitchen shears, honing steel, and a storage block.
All the blades in this set except the steak knives are forged, so you can expect a very sharp edge, a durable build, and great edge-retention.
On top of that, the handles of these knives are triple-riveted and have a very ergonomic design, which can make prep work in the kitchen less stressful on your hands and arms.
This is one of the most affordable forged sets you can get on the market today, making it a great pick for just about any cook out there who’s particular about their tools.
- All blades except the steak knives are forged
- Great edge-retention
- Contains all the essentials and more
- Ergonomically designed handles
- The block may look a bit too small for such a large set
4. J.A Henckels International Classic Starter Set
- Set Includes 4 inch paring/ utility Knife, 6 inch utility/ sandwich...
- Made in Spain
- Fabricated from high quality German stainless steel
The next item on our list is a great set for beginner culinary students or those looking to build a high-quality kitchen setup.
It doesn’t come with too many blades, in fact, it only comes with three.
But don’t be fooled, these knives are some of the best on the market today, and you can use them for just about any kitchen task out there.
In this set, you’ll be getting a 4” paring, 6” utility, and 8” chef knife, which is about all you’ll need in the kitchen (save for maybe a serrated knife).
All these blades are forged in construction, which makes them very durable with great edge retention.
It also boasts a satin finish, which makes it holds the edge even longer and gives the knife a very sleek look.
These are full-tang knives with three rivets on the handle, which makes them very stable and easy to use.
So if you’ve been looking for a very basic set with very high-quality blades, this could be the right pick for you.
- Contains the essentials
- Very sharp blades
- Forged-blades have great edge retention
- Comfortable handle
- Only comes with three knives
5. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 19-Piece Set
- Zwilling special formula steel, Precision stamped blades ;...
- Friodur blade, ice hardened to 57 Rockwell Hardness
- Hand sharpened and polished, Laser controlled edge
Next up is a set from Zwilling, which is still under the Henckels company, but is known for making higher quality knives, but we’ll dive deeper into the differences between Zwilling and Henckels later.
This is a large 19-piece set that contains all the necessary kitchen tools and more since it comes with steak knives, shears, honing steel, and a storage block.
All the blades are ice-hardened using a four-part process, which makes them friodur blades.
These knives have great edge retention, and since they are hand-sharpened and polished with a laser-controlled edge, you can rest assured that you’ll be getting very sharp blades.
The blades are precision-stamped, which gives them great durability while also being very light and easy to maneuver.
This a very modern set that would be a great pick for just about any chef out there.
- Very sharp
- Ice-hardened friodur blades
- Comes with steak knives
- Comes with a storage block
- Great edge retention
- Relatively expensive
6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S 7-Piece Set
- 3 inch parer, 5 inch serrated utility, 5 inch hollow edge santoku, 8...
- Kitchen shears, 9 inch steel, hardwood block
- Friodur ice hardened stainless steel blades
Next up we have a very professional-looking basic knife set that comes with a beautiful storage block.
It comes with four knives on top of the honing steel, shears, and the block, which makes for a basic and very functional kitchen tool kit.
The blades are friodur, which means they are ice-hardened using a four-step process that gives them incredible edge-retention.
They also come with triple-riveted synthetic handles that are very comfortable to grip and make for a very balanced cutting experience.
All in all, this a great basic knife set for any chef or home cook out there.
- Great edge-retention
- Comfortable handles
- Comes with a storage block
- Doesn’t come with steak knives
7. J.A Henckels International Modernist 13-Piece Set
- High-quality German stainless steel
- Lightweight, ergonomic, stainless steel handle
- Polished end cap with embossed logo. Dishwasher safe
This is the last item on our list, and it’s a great modern set for anyone looking for a functional collection of knives.
They boast a sleek, all stainless-steel design that gives a very classy look.
And on top of that, it also makes for a very durable set of blades.
They are lightweight, razor-sharp, and easy to use, making them a great pick for just about anyone out there.
This set comes with all the essentials including steak knives, honing steel, and a beautiful storage block that contrasts the bright design of the knives very well.
And if that weren’t enough, this is also one of the more affordable sets from Henckels out there, making it a top pick for anyone out there looking for kitchen cutlery sets on a budget.
- Sleek and modern design
- Comes with a storage block
- Comes with steak knives
- The blades might rust if put in the dishwasher
1. What Is The Best Henckels Knife Set?
Our pick on this list for the best Henckel’s collection is the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature Set as it comes with all the essentials and consists of some of the highest-quality blades the company has to offer.
2. Is Zwilling Or Henckels Better?
Generally, Zwilling blades will be higher-quality since they are a more premium brand.
However, they can be expensive, so if you want a quality German blade on a budget, Henckels might be the better choice for you.
3. What Is Better Henckels Or Wusthof?
This depends on your own preferences.
Henckels blades are generally softer than Wusthof, so they will be easier to sharpen, but Wusthof blades have better edge retention.
Both brands have about the same sharpness in their blades, so the better option really depends on a chef’s own needs in the kitchen.
4. What Knives Does Gordon Ramsay Use?
Gordon Ramsay has been seen using German knives a lot from brands such as Wusthof and Zwilling.
5. Are J.A. Henckels Knives Made In China?
Yes, Henckels knives are made in China which is why they are more affordable.
However, Zwilling J.A. Henckels blades (the ones with the twin logo) are still made in Solingen, Germany, which is part of the reason they are much more expensive.
6. Are Henckels Knives Guaranteed For Life?
Henckels only guarantees that their products are free from any manufacturing defects.
This doesn’t include handles or the regular wear and tear that will come with everyday use.
7. Why Are My Henckels Knives Rusting?
One of the main reasons knives rust is poor maintenance and putting them in the dishwasher.
The best way to maintain any blade is to make sure to clean it immediately after every use.
This means washing off all residue, then scrubbing it with a non-abrasive sponge before rinsing.
Once it is rinsed, you have to dry it right away to make sure that the blade won’t rust.
One of the reasons most people end up with rusty blades is by washing them in the dishwasher.
The wash cycle of a dishwasher can do a number on the edge of your blades and since they are left inside without being dried, they are also at a greater risk of rusting.
With that, our list comes to an end.
We featured reviews of some of the best Henckel’s collections out there in the market today.
Some of the options are recommended for home cooks on a budget, while others are professional-grade and recommended for serious chefs and cooks.
So if you think you found the right one for you in this list, then it might be time for you to get your hands on one yourself!
And before you know it, you’ll be slicing and dicing away in the kitchen using your very own set!
- Best Henckels Knife Sets (Updated List)
- Reasons To Buy From Henckels
- Product Reviews
- 1. J.A. Henckels International Statement 15-Piece Set
- 2. J.A. Henckels International Statement 14-Piece Self-Sharpening Set
- 3. J.A. Henckels International Forged Premio 19-Piece Set
- 4. J.A Henckels International Classic Starter Set
- 5. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 19-Piece Set
- 6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S 7-Piece Set
- 7. J.A Henckels International Modernist 13-Piece Set