When making a meal at home, one of the most important tools you’ll use is your knives.
You will need a set that contains all the essentials, be made out of durable material, and be able to accomplish all the prep work you’ll find yourself doing.
But the thing about shopping in this day and age is, sometimes we have way too many options available and choosing the right one can be really tough.
On top of that, figuring out what qualities are important with kitchen cutlery is no easy task, which makes shopping for the right set a real chore.
To make things easier for you, we’ve compiled reviews of the best knife sets for home chefs available on the market today.
We’ve even included a quick buying guide at the end of the article to make shopping and filtering out options a breeze.
So read on to learn more!
Best Knife Sets For Home Chefs (Updated List)
What To Consider When Buying
What’s In The Set?
The very first thing you’ll need to consider is what’s included in the collection.
From there, you will have to consider your own needs in the kitchen and what prep work you’ll be doing.
That’s how you can figure out if you also need a carving knife, slicing knife, or any other blade you can think of.
However, it will be very useful if you have a pair of shears included in the set and a storage case or storage block that you can use to store your blades and maintain their edge.
And if you don’t have a sharpener at home, sets that come with honing steels or knife sharpeners would be ideal.
What Materials Are Used?
The next thing to consider is what materials are used in making the collection.
Ideally, you would want to have high-carbon stainless steel for the blades since this material has great edge retention and corrosion resistance.
On top of that, you would also want a comfortable handle such as ABS, PakkaWood, or PP since you would want to have a comfortable and safe grip on the knife.
How Are These Knives Made?
When it comes to construction, it would be ideal to get full-tang knives.
These are models where the blades run throughout the entire handle, which makes for a much more stable and balanced feel.
It would also be nice to have a set for forged blades since these are generally more durable than stamped ones.
That being said, forged models can be very expensive, so if you’re on a tight budget stamped blades might be the better option for you.
1. Emojoy 22-Piece
- 【USEFUL 22-PIECE KNIFE SET】This knife set includes all the most...
- 【HIGH-CARBON STAINLESS STEEL KNIFE SET】Razor-sharp blades are made...
- 【QUALITY KNIFE SET with COMFORT GRIP】Handles is ergonomically...
The first option on our list is a massive 22-piece set that comes with a bunch of useful tools to handle all your kitchen needs.
It comes with all the essential kitchen knives such as the santoku, chef, paring, and bread knives, along with a couple of extras such as shears, a storage block, honing steel, and even a carving for and steak knives.
One of the best qualities about this one is that all the cutlery is full-tang in construction, meaning the blade extends throughout the full length of the handle, which gives you a much more durable build and comfortable feel.
All the blades are made out of HRC55 steel, which is a high-carbon steel that is great for blades since it has great edge-retention but isn’t too hard that the blade becomes brittle.
While the blades are stamped, the extra-wide bolster is forged, which gives cooks more stability and control when using the knives.
On the ABS handle, you’ll see three rivets, which gives it a very professional look while also allowing you to have a more secure grip on the blades.
This would be a great choice for anyone who is looking to start building a complete and functional kitchen toolset.
- Comes packed with a lot of useful knives
- Extra-wide forged bolsters allow for a comfortable grip
- Sleek design
- Comes with a storage block
- Not the most durable set out there
2. Top Chef By Master Cutlery Basic 5-Piece
- Country Of Origin: China
- Model Number: TC-03
- Item Package Dimensions: 2.0" L x 16.13" W x 8.75" H
Next up is a more stripped-down set, but it’s a great pick for those looking for a simple collection for their kitchen.
It comes with a chef, paring, and utility knives, which is all you’ll really need in the kitchen, save for a serrated blade (but you can always get that separately).
On top of that, it comes with a useful honing steel and a beautiful carrying case.
These are really all you’ll need in the kitchen, especially if you’re just cooking simple recipes and basic home-cooked meals.
And since the knives are constructed with such close attention to detail, they are razor-sharp right out of the box and have great edge-retention.
These are also full-tang products that are a joy to use when prepping food, which is why this is one of the best picks on our list.
- Simple and minimalist design
- Comes with a carrying case
- Great edge-retention
- Doesn’t come with a serrated blade
3. Slitzer Germany 7-Piece
- PROFESSIONAL CUTLERLY SET: This 7-piece Chef’s Cutlery Set is an...
- ERGONOMIC, DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Each knife features powerfully...
- BOXED SET INCLUDES 5 KNIVES AND SHARPENER: Our high-quality knife set...
Following things up is another compact set great for those who are on the move.
It comes with five essential kitchen tools including a honing steel and carrying case.
This is a great option for home chefs who might find themselves cooking at a friend’s house and want to bring their own collection of cutlery.
The blades have a V-style edge which makes them very sharp and since they are made with high-carbon steel, they also have great edge retention.
All the tools in the product are full-tang in construction, which makes them very stable when in use, and since the handles are shaped in a very ergonomic way, you can use go cutting and slicing away in the kitchen for a very long time without worrying about straining your hands.
This is also a very affordable one, which is what makes it a great pick for any home cook on a budget.
- Comes with all the essentials
- Honing steel and carrying case included
- Ergonomic handle
- V-style edge is very sharp
- They are made in China, not Germany
4. Wanbasion Blue Professional
- Resistant to corrosion and scratch – Kitchen knife surface titanium...
- Resistant to rust and stains - Stainless steel kitchen knife set is...
- Better flexible - A special process is used to guarantee the quality...
The next collection on this list has a very unique aesthetic, which makes it a great pick for any colorful kitchen!
These Wanbaison blades are made out of stainless steel, so rust isn’t something you’ll have to worry about too much.
And on top of that, they are coated with a non-stick titanium coating which gives it even more rust and corrosion resistance.
It also gives the blades a beautiful blue finish, which isn’t something that truly stands out.
This one comes with six very useful kitchen knives, each with its own sheath so you can easily store them without worrying about dulling the blade.
These are also very flexible blades, so you don’t have to worry about them chipping or breaking easily.
So if you’re on the hunt for a set with a unique aesthetic, this Wansbasion collection might be the one for you!
- Unique aesthetic
- Each blade comes with a sheath
- Comes with very useful blades
- The blue aesthetic may not be for everyone
5. Chef Grids Colorful 12-Piece
- BEST CHEFS KNIFE SET - 12-piece colored kitchen knives set with 5...
- KEY FEATURES - Durable and corrosion resistant non-stick stainless...
- THE ONLY MISSING PUZZLE IN YOUR KITCHEN - A family of knives that will...
This 12-piece set is a great pick for beginners as it comes with a cutting glove that can help you keep your fingers safe while doing prep work in the kitchen.
On top of that, it comes with five essential kitchen tools, each with its own sheath to keep the blade safe.
It also comes with a vegetable peeler which can make work a lot easier in the kitchen.
All the blades have a unique color, which makes it very easy for you to distinguish which cutter is used for which tasks.
This can help prevent cross-contamination and make your workflow in the kitchen much smoother.
So if you’ve just started to learn the ropes of the kitchen and need a simple cutlery collection to start your culinary journey, this could be the one for you.
- Color-coded blades
- Each blade comes with a sheath
- Comes with a protective glove
- Comes with a peeler
- Not the most durable one out there
6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 3-Piece
- Includes 4 inch paring 6 inch utility and 8 inch chef's knife
- Manufactured in Germany
- Special formula high carbon no stain steel
This is the most basic collection on our list, and it’s designed for home cooks looking for a high-quality set on a budget.
It comes from one of the most respected brands in the cutlery world, and the blades included in the collection would even be fit for a professional kitchen.
The blades are made out of high-carbon German steel, which gives them great edge retention and corrosion resistance.
On top of that, they are also ice-hardened which makes the steel much tougher with a Rockwell hardness rating of 57.
This is a one-piece precision-stamped blade, which gives it virtually the same durability as forged ones, while also being much lighter and easier to use.
The handles on this set are ergonomically designed and triple-riveted, which makes them very stable and easy to grip.
The collection comes with a chef, utility, and paring knives, which is about all any home cook would need in the kitchen.
- Made by one of the most respected kitchen cutlery brands
- Ice-hardened blades have great edge retention
- Rockwell hardness rating of 57
- Ergonomic handle design
- Doesn’t come with a serrated blade
7. Lux Decor Collection 7-Piece
- All-In-One Complete Set: Multipurpose chef knife set is the perfect...
- Non-Stick Coating: Blades of kitchen knife set go an extra mile due to...
- Impressive Sharpness: Our Black Knife Set features fully serrated,...
We’ve reached the last entry on our list, and this is one of the best picks for home kitchens on the market today.
It’s a very affordable choice that comes with a bunch of very useful kitchen tools.
And on top of that, each blade has a non-stick coating that prevents food and other ingredients from sticking to it.
It’s a seven-piece set, so you will have all the essentials and more since it comes with a pizza cutter and a carving blade.
So if you’ve been looking for a simple yet functional collection on a budget, this may be the one for you.
- Has a non-stick coating
- Comes with very useful tools
- Unique aesthetic
- Not the most durable set out there
1. Are Expensive Knives Worth It?
Yes, especially if you’re a professional knife or a home cook who is very particular about their gear.
However, if you don’t need to have premium and top-quality knives and all you need are basic everyday tools, you might be better off looking at the budget-friendly options.
2. How Much Should A Good Knife Set Cost?
The best price range for home cooks to shop in when it comes to kitchen cutlery sets would be $100 and $200 as you’ll be able to find some high-quality products in this range.
However, if you’re on a budget, you can easily find a lot of sharp and durable sets out there for less than $100.0
3. What Knives Stay Sharp The Longest?
Blades made out of high-carbon stainless steel tend to have the best edge-retention compared to other materials.
4. Are German Or Japanese Knives Better?
This largely depends on your own preferences.
German knives are tougher and are more durable, but Japanese ones are sharper and more precise, but since the steel they use is harder, they tend to be brittle compared to their European counterparts.
5. Is It Worth It To Sharpen Cheap Knives?
Yes, this is one of the best ways to make the most of a cheap knife and will instantly up the quality of the blade.
6. What Knife Does Gordon Ramsay Use?
Gordon Ramsay and other professionals are usually seen using blades made by respected brands such as Henckels, Wusthof, and Shun.
7. What Are The Most Important Knives In The Kitchen?
The three most essential kitchen knives are the chef knife, paring knife, and serrated knife as professionals state that these tools can be used to accomplish just about any kitchen task out there.
And there you have it, our comprehensive list of the best knife sets for home kitchens in the market today.
All these products would be a great fit in the kitchen, though some are designed for more experienced cooks while others would be a better fit for beginners.
And if you think you found the right one for you in this list, then there’s only one thing left to do and that is to go out and get your hands on one of these sets yourself!
- Best Knife Sets For Home Chefs (Updated List)
- What To Consider When Buying
- Product Reviews