One of the best parts about shopping in this day and age is that you’re spoiled for options.
At the press of the button, you can have a huge list of brands and products that you can choose from.
But when it comes to shopping for kitchen sets, this can actually get in the way, since it can be so hard to figure out the right one for you.
So to make things easier, I’ve compiled reviews of some of the best knife sets for under $150.
In this range, you’re going to find a lot of great budget knives that would serve any chef or home cook very well.
We’ve also included a buying guide at the end, so read on to learn more!
Best Knife Sets For Under $150 (Updated List)
What To Look For When Buying
One of the most important factors of any knife regardless of their price is how they’re made.
The first thing you should look out for is the tang of the knife or the part of the blade that is inside the handle.
Ideally, you want to get your hands on full-tang knives, which are basically blades that run throughout the entire handle which makes for a much more comfortable and balanced grip.
On top of that, you might want to pay attention to whether the blades are forged or stamped.
Stamped blades are laser cut from a large sheet of stainless steel, which is an inexpensive and reliable way to make blades.
Forged ones are forged out of a single piece of stainless steel, which makes for a much more durable knife, but it will also make it cost a lot more money.
So in the sub-$150 range, expect to find more stamped blades than forged ones, but that’s completely fine as a lot of stamped blades nowadays can hold their own against forged ones easily.
The next thing to look out for is the materials that were used in the construction.
When looking at knife steels, make sure that the set your getting contains high-carbon stainless steel blades.
This material is one of the most popular types on today’s market as it has great edge-retention and can last you a long while in the kitchen.
Aside from that, you would also want a handle that is made out of durable and comfortable materials such as PP or PakkaWood.
In this range, you might want to avoid wooden handles as they might not be treated right and not be waterproof, which greatly affects the knife’s durability.
Lastly, you would want to make sure that the set has everything you need in the kitchen.
This differs from person to person, but a good rule of thumb is that the set should at the very least contain a chef knife, paring knife, and serrated knife.
These are the absolute essentials in the kitchen that most chefs will recommend.
From there, it would also be useful to have a slicing, utility, and santoku knife.
And if you need table cutlery, you might want to get a set that comes with steak knives as well.
Lastly, shears, honing steel, and a storage block can also be very useful additions to your kitchen arsenal, so keep an eye out for that.
1. DFITO Kitchen Set
- 🔪【MULTIPURPOSE】 The 10 PCS kitchen knife boxed set includes 8"...
- 🔪【SUPERB RAW MATERIAL & RAZOR SHARP EDGE】The chef's knifives...
- 🔪【INGENIOUS APPEARANCE & DESIGN】DFITO kitchen knives set has a...
If you’ve been looking for a quality set that comes with useful knives and nothing else, this could be the right pick for you.
This massive set comes with 10 different knives with beautiful Damascus-style patterns on the blades and rustic PakkaWood handles.
The brand claims that these knives fuse German and Japanese influences to create a modern and highly functional kitchen tool.
These knives have clear influences from both sides of the world, which is what makes them ideal for modern cooking.
On top of that, the etched pattern on the blades gives them a very unique look that you’ll have a hard time finding in this price range.
- Comes with 10 different blades
- Unique aesthetic
- 54+ Rockwell hardness rating
- Beautiful PakkaWood handles
- Doesn’t come with sheaths or a storage block
2. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Set
- Ergonomic Santoprene handle offers superior comfort and a non-slip...
- High carbon, no-stain German X50 Cr Mo V15 cutlery steel resists rust,...
- Precision forged construction for better strength and durability with...
Next up is a very good forged set of blades from Mercer that comes with a unique block that you can use to display your blades while also keeping them safe.
It comes with five essential kitchen knives that you will find a lot of uses for in the kitchen along with a storage block made of tempered glass, which gives it a transparent look.
This will allow you to safely store your knives while also showing off your blades that have a very sleek finish.
The blades in this set are made of high-carbon steel, and the handles are made of Santoprene, which is a material that is affordable, durable, and can be molded into very comfortable handle shapes.
On top of that, the blades also have a taper-ground edge, which can give you a lot more stability in the kitchen, making these a great budget pick for anyone looking for a professional kitchen cutlery set.
- Forged blades
- Comes with a unique storage block
- Razor-sharp out of the box
- Comfortable Santoprene handles
- Only comes with 5 knives
3. KitchenAid KKFTR16SL 16-Piece Set
- Our Chef, Slicer, Utility, Santoku, and Paring cutlery are made of...
- The integrated sharpener makes it easier and faster to regularly...
- Our cutlery is tested to withstand the toughest dishwasher cycles
Following things up is a complete set from one of the most well-known kitchen brands on the market today: KitchenAid.
This massive 16-piece set comes with all the essentials and also includes steak knives for the table, kitchen shears, and a storage block with a built-in sharpener to make things much easier for you in the kitchen.
The built-in sharpener makes maintenance much easier since it’s simple to use and put in a very convenient place.
On top of that, all the blades are made out of high-quality and high-carbon steel so you know the edges will last you a very long while.
And if that wasn’t enough, these are also full-tang knives on a budget, which makes it an ideal collection for anyone looking for a functional and balanced set of knives.
- Made of high-quality steel
- Comes with a storage block
- The storage block has a built-in sharpener
- Comes with steak knives
- Some customers have said the handles on the steak knives are a bit too thin
4. J.A. Henckels International Statement Set
- Set includes 3 inches paring knife 5 inches serrated utility 7 inches...
- Fabricated from high quality stainless steel. Handle Material: Plastic
- Single piece Precision stamped blade construction provides durability
For the most part, Henckels blades are reserved for professionals looking to invest in premium kitchen cutlery, but that’s not exactly the case with this set.
This is one of the most affordable collections of Henckels, but that doesn’t mean there’s a dip in quality as all of these knives will perform very well in any kitchen.
This is because the blades are made out of high-quality materials and are made with close attention to detail, which is something the brand is known for.
They will be razor-sharp right out of the box, and the synthetic handle allows you to have a very comfortable yet sturdy grip on the knives.
On top of that, all the models in the collection are full-tang, which gives you even more balance when using them in the kitchen.
- Comes from a respected brand
- Comes with a wooden storage block
- Well-made blades
- These blades will rust in the dishwasher
5. Yatoshi 7-Piece Set
- ✅ Just the right knife for any task: 1x 8in Chef Knife, 1x 7in...
- PROFESSIONAL CHEF'S KNIFE: High-carbon Cr17 stainless steel blade. To...
ULTRA-SHARP EDGE: It comes with a HRC( Rockwell...
Next up, we have another basic Japanese-style set that is ideal for anyone on the hunt for quality knives on a budget.
This Yatoshi collection comes with seven different knives, each with a swirly Damascus-style pattern on them which gives the knives a very unique look.
The blades are all made out of Cr17 steel, which is great knife steel since it’s affordable and gives the blades great edge retention.
This steel has a Rockwell Hardness Rating of around 57+, which is on par with a lot of the premium blades on the market today.
They also come with a very comfortable PakkaWood handle that can last you a long time in the kitchen.
This set only comes with knives, so if you’re looking for a block set, this might not be the pick for you.
But if all you need in the kitchen are razor-sharp blades that can handle just about any task you can think of, then you might find this collection particularly interesting.
- Comes with all the essential kitchen knives
- Very sharp
- The blades have a swirly Damascus-style pattern
- PakkaWood handles are comfortable and durable
- 57+ Rockwell Hardness Rating
- Doesn’t come with a storage block
6. Royal Doulton Gordon Ramsay Set
- Kitchen Knife collection by Gordon Ramsay for Royal Doulton
- Professional knives for everyday use. This comprehensive range of...
- Classic black ABS Handle, 3CR13 Blade.
Gordon Ramsay is one of the most popular chefs on the planet, and he worked together with Royal Doulton to provide a collection of blades that are both highly functional and affordable.
This set comes with five essential kitchen knives and a beautiful storage block.
All the blades are made from high-quality stainless steel, so they will be very sharp and strong right out of the box.
On top of that, the block it comes with is a beautiful ash-color, which gives a very modern aesthetic to the collection.
So if you’re looking for a quality-set that was designed by a professional chef, then this could be your best pick.
- Comes with all the essentials
- Comes with a beautiful storage block
- Made of high-quality steel
- Very balanced feel when cutting and slicing
- Doesn’t come with steak knives
7. Cuisinart C77WTR-15P
- Set Includes: 8" Chef Knife, 8" Slicing Knife, 7" Santoku Knife, 5.5"...
- Superior high-carbon forged stainless steel blade for precision and...
- Durable extra-wide safety bolster for perfect stability and control
We’re wrapping up our list with this beautiful and classic-looking set from Cuisinart.
It comes with high-quality stainless steel blades and beautiful cream-colored handles which are reminiscent of the beautiful old-school chef knives from the past.
Along with the essentials, it also comes with a storage block, shears, steak knives, and honing steel.
On top of that, these full-tang knives have forged blades, so they will last you a long time in your kitchen.
So if you’re looking for a well-designed and reliable collection for your kitchen, this Cuisinart set could be the one for you.
- Classic aesthetic
- Very sharp
- Comes with steak knives
- Comes with a storage block
- All the blades are forged
- The blades have the tendency to rust
1. What Is The Best Affordable Knife Set?
Our pick on this list for the best affordable knife set is the J.A. Henckels International Statement Set as it is made out of quality materials, crafted with close attention to detail, and comes from one of the most trusted brands in the world of kitchen cutlery today.
2. What Knife Set Does Gordon Ramsay Use?
Gordon Ramsay is known to use German knives in his kitchen by brands such as Wusthof and Zwilling.
3. How Much Should A Good Knife Set Cost?
If you’re on the hunt for premium products and would need them in the kitchen, you might want to look at the $500-$1000 range for your knife sets.
However, home cooks looking for basic everyday knives should find that sets in the sub-$200 and sub-$150 range suit their needs very well.
4. What Knives Do Professional Chefs Use?
Professionals use a wide variety of blades in the kitchen for different tasks.
However, they are known to use brands that have been around for a while and have made a name for themselves.
These include Dalstrong, Shun, Mac, Wusthof, Zwilling, and Global, just to name a few.
5. What Is The Best Knife To Cut Meat?
If you’re chopping and slicing up small chunks of meat, then you can easily use a chef knife or a santoku for the job, after all, they are designed to be workhorses in the kitchen.
However, if you’re doing more intense work and need precision, we recommend using a slicing knife, and if you need to chop through heavy meat and bone, then it might be best to invest in a large butcher’s knife to do the job.
6. What Are The Three Essential Kitchen Knives?
Most professionals out there will point to the chef knife, paring knife, and serrated knife as the most important and essential kitchen tools.
7. Is It Worth It To Sharpen Cheap Knives?
Yes, one of the best ways to make the most out of cheap blades is to have them professionally sharpened or do them yourself.
This will make the tools much more efficient in the kitchen and make them much easier to use.
All the sets and collections we featured on this list have their own set of pros and cons that would make them great picks for just about anyone.
That being said, everyone has different tastes, so as long as you’re comfortable with your collection and enjoy using your knives, then you definitely have the best set for you.
And if you think you stumbled upon a collection that you’re interested in, then it might be time for you to head out and get your hands on one yourself!
- Best Knife Sets For Under $150 (Updated List)
- What To Look For When Buying
- Product Reviews