Buying a knife set can be tough.
There are a lot of different brands out there and so many things to consider, that sometimes, all of that can be overwhelming.
And if that wasn’t enough, these sets can also get pretty expensive, which is why the hunt for the right set can be a very difficult task.
But to make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of the best knife sets for under $50, to help you narrow down your options.
We’ve also included a buying guide at the end of the article to further aid you in your search.
So if you’ve been hunting for a knife set on a budget, you’ve come to the right place.
Read on to learn more.
Best Knife Sets Under $50 (Updated List)
What To Consider When Buying
The first thing you’d need to consider when buying kitchen cutlery sets on a budget is the construction.
Typically in this range, you’ll find products that feature stamped blades.
These are blades that are laser cut or “stamped” out of a large sheet of stainless steel, making for a tough yet very affordable knife.
That being said, they are still not as durable or high-quality as forged knives that you’ll find in higher price ranges.
One thing you’d want to take a close look at though is the tang of the knives, which is basically the end of the blade that is inside the handle.
A full-tang knife will have a blade that runs throughout the entire handle and makes for a much more stable and durable product, so make sure to keep your eye out for these types of products.
The next thing you’d want to check out is the materials used in making the knives.
There are lots of variations of high-carbon steel, so make sure to do your research on the specific types that will serve your needs in the kitchen.
On top of that, you would want products with high-quality handles.
While wooden handles look great, unless they are made properly, they will not be that durable, so it’s best to avoid them in this price range.
We recommend going for products with synthetic handles such as PakkaWood or PP since these materials will be very durable and can also give you a very comfortable grip.
Another good option in this price range is knives with stainless steel handles, as they are sanitary, easy to clean, and very durable.
Lastly, you would want to take a look at what pieces are included in the set.
The essential knives that you will need in the kitchen are a chef knife, paring knife, and serrated bread knife, so you have to make sure the collection you’re getting includes these three pieces, at the very least.
On top of that, a utility knife and kitchen shears would also be very useful additions, and if you don’t have a proper place to store the blades, we also recommend getting a set that comes with a storage block or knife sheaths.
Another great addition to any set is steak knives, as they can be used as table knives for cutting meat, fish, or even spreading butter or other spreads on bread.
But the most important thing to consider is what tools you will need in the kitchen based on the tasks you do regularly, and from there, you can easily figure out which knives and tools are the priority, which will make narrowing down your options much easier.
1. Home Hero 17-Piece Set
- All-in-one complete set – a specialized set of kitchen knives for...
- Professional quality at its best – the best materials to update your...
- A multi-purpose kitchen décor must – a perfect mix of design &...
Kicking off our list is a collection from Home Hero that is a favorite gift for fresh grads, newlyweds, or even as a housewarming gift.
This is because the set is packed with all the essential knives and more.
Along with the standard chef, utility, paring, and bread knife, you’ll be getting a pizza knife, cheese knife, and six steak knives for when you actually serve the food you cook!
If that wasn’t enough, it also comes with a sharpener, peeler, and modern storage case that lets you showcase the unique finish of the knives.
The blades are all made of stainless steel, but they also have a non-stick black coating on them so food won’t stick to the blade and also to protect the steel from damage and staining.
Because it’s such a complete collection and it’s so affordable, this is a great set for any young person trying to build a quality kitchen tool kit on a budget!
- Very affordable
- Comes with a cheese and pizza knife
- Comes with a sharpener, peeler, and shears
- The storage block showcases the knives very well
- Non-stick coating on the blades
- Not the most durable collection out there
2. Cuisinart C55-12PCKSAM
- High-Quality stainless steel slades
- Nonstick coating for easy slicing
- Color coding reduces the risk of cross-contamination during food...
This is a great pick for anyone looking for a collection that’s bright, vibrant, and modern!
This Cuisinart set comes with six essential kitchen knives including a chef knife, paring knife, bread knife, utility knife, santoku, and slicing knife.
And if you’re new to all these different names for kitchen cutlery, don’t worry they all come in different bold colors so you can easily tell the difference.
This is also a great way to prevent cross-contamination in the kitchen.
The blades are made of stainless steel with a colorful non-stick coating, and they are attached to ergonomic handles that are very comfortable to grip.
While this set is affordable, it isn’t the most packed collection out there, but that’s a small sacrifice to make considering that all the knives are made with high-quality materials and close attention to detail.
- Comes in bright and bold colors
- Razor-sharp right out of the box
- Comes with matching sheaths for each blade
- Easy to organize
- Coated with a non-stick coating
- Doesn’t have the best edge-retention
3. DEIK 14-Piece Set
- One Piece Design: Forged continuously in one piece, forged steel...
- High Carbon Stain-Free Stainless Steel: Provides high durability, long...
- Full Knife Sets: All the cooking knives you need, 8" chef knife, 8"...
One of the main highlights of this set is that it comes with forged knives.
These are blades that are forged from a single piece of stainless steel, making for much tougher and durable blades, which is pretty hard to find in this price range.
The knives are made out of high-carbon stainless steel and also feature a stainless steel handle that looks sleek and modern while also being very easy to clean and grip.
Along with the essential kitchen blades, you’ll be getting six steak knives, honing steel, kitchen shears, and a beautiful acrylic case that stores your blades while also putting them on full display for everyone to see.
The handles on these blades are tapered to make for an even more comfortable grip, which you can really feel when doing a lot of heavy prep work in the kitchen.
You won’t be finding a lot of forged pieces in this price range, which is why this DEIK 14-piece set is a gem that might just deserve your attention.
- All the blades are forged
- Comes with a beautiful acrylic case
- Comes with shears and a sharpener
- Sleek and modern design
- Not dishwasher-safe
4. Wanbasion Blue 7-Piece Set
- Resistant to Scratch & Paint Drop - Wanbasion kitchen knife set with...
- Better Flexible & Durable - Wanbasion kitchen knife set with knife...
- Excellent Sharp & Long Edge Retention - Wanbasion kitchen knife set...
This is truly one of the more unique collections out there, and it could just be the right one for your kitchen.
It comes with five essential kitchen knives, a sharpener, and a beautiful knife block.
However, the main selling point of these blades is their unique blue finish.
This comes from the blue titanium coating which makes the knives stain-resistant and very tough.
On top of that, the acrylic knife block doesn’t dull the blades when they are stored inside, which is a problem a lot of people encounter with other knife blocks.
These blades are flexible and durable, and the knives that come in this set are ideal for a basic kitchen setup.
So if you’ve been looking for a knife set with a unique aesthetic, tough blades, and a quality storage block, this could be the right pick for you.
- Unique design
- Comes with an acrylic block
- Contains the essential knives
- Comes with a sharpener
- Non-stick and stain-resistant blue titanium coating on all the blades
- The blue aesthetic might not be for everyone
5. Farberware 22-Piece Set
- PERFECT SET FOR BACK TO COLLEGE: Best gift for new college students,...
- OPTIMAL SHARPNESS KITCHEN KNIVES: Never needs sharpening blades have...
- NON SLIP HANDLES: Handles are crafted triple riveted poly for strength...
Next up is one of the best kitchen starter collections on the market today.
This massive Faberware 22-Piece set comes with all the necessary kitchen knives, six steak knives, measuring spoons, and three spatulas!
On top of that, it comes with shears and a wooden storage block.
This is an ideal set for home cooks who don’t have time to sharpen their knives as the blades have micro serrations that make the edge very durable, in fact, the brand claims that these blades will never need sharpening.
While that probably isn’t true and you should still have these blades sharpened at least once a year, you will have to sharpen these knives much less than others on the market today.
These full-tang knives also have three rivets on the ergonomically shaped handles, making for a very comfortable set of tools that are a great foundation for any kitchen!
- Contains a lot of products
- The blades have micro serrations giving them great edge retention
- Comes with shears and a storage block
- Ergonomic handles
- Well-made storage block
- Some might find that this set has too many knives
6. Moss & Stone Stainless Steel Serrated Cutlery Set
- 🔪 EASY SLICING AND DICING: We at moss & stone are pleased to offer...
- 🔪 EFFECTIVE WOODEN BLOCK DESIGN AND HANDLING: Our knife set with...
- 🔪 POWERFUL AND USEFUL KNIFE SET: Our chef set knifes comes in 14...
Next up is a basic affordable set from Moss & Stone.
Aside from the essentials, it also comes with six steak knives, a sharpener, and a knife block.
All the blades are made from stainless steel, which will ensure that the blades won’t rust on you.
However, make sure not to leave them in the dishwasher and to only clean and dry them by hand to avoid them staining or rusting.
This is one of the most affordable sets out there that contains all the necessary tools to build a kitchen, which is why it ended up on this list.
- Very affordable
- Comes with a storage block
- Razor-sharp blades
- Contains all the essentials
- Not the most durable set out there
7. Farberware Stamped 15-Piece Block Set
- High quality blade: Each blade is expertly crafted from superior...
- Comfort grip: Featuring a satin finish, the handles are crafted from...
- Perfect set for back to college: Best gift for new college students,...
Next up is a beautiful set from Faberware.
It contains all the essential kitchen knives made out of stainless steel all the way down to the handle.
This makes for a very sleek and modern design, which pairs very nicely with the dark storage block it comes with.
The handles feature a satin finish, which makes gripping the knives very comfortable and also adds to the classy aesthetic of the products.
This is a very affordable and very basic set, which could be just what you’re looking for.
- Sleek and modern look
- Well-made blades
- Comfortable handles
- Comes with a storage block
- Not dishwasher-safe
1. What Is The Best Affordable Knife Set?
Our pick for the best affordable knife set is the Faberware 22-piece set as it costs less than $50, and comes with all the essential kitchen tools and more.
On top of that, all the blades are made with close attention to detail and with high-quality materials.
2. What Knife Set Does Gordon Ramsay Use?
Gordon Ramsay has been known to use German-made knives from the Wusthof and Zwilling J.A. Henckels brand.
3. How Much Should A Good Knife Set Cost?
You can find good budget knife sets anywhere between $50-$100 at the minimum, but if you want a higher-quality product, you might have to be prepared to spend a bit more money.
However, if you’re really on a tight budget, you can also find good options out there for less than $50, especially if you look hard enough.
4. What Is The Best Knife To Cut Meat?
For cutting, chopping, and prepping meat, you can always use a chef knife, but for more heavy-duty work, we recommend investing in a quality butcher’s knife.
5. What Knife Does Jaime Oliver Use?
While Jaimie Oliver is known to use a very wide range of knives in the kitchen, it has been reported that the favorite tool for the chef and his team is the trusty Santoku, a Japanese-style chef knife that is typically razor-sharp and very precise.
6. Are Expensive Knife Sets Worth It?
Yes, especially if you’re particular about the details of your kitchen tools.
They can be highly functional investments for your kitchen, especially for serious cooks.
However, if you aren’t too keen on getting expensive high-quality blades, you can always go for the budget options as they are still very good for everyday use.
7. What Knife Can Cut Through Bone?
To cut through bone you would need a special tool.
It’s most recommended to use a heavy meat cleaver as these are heavy-duty blades that can easily cut through meat and bone, but it will still take some effort to do.
So that concludes our list of some of the best inexpensive knife sets on the market today.
There are a lot of great collections out there that you can get on a budget, but you have to make sure to look hard and do your research to make sure you’re getting a quality product.
So if you think you found the right set for you on this list, all that’s left to do is head out and get your hands on one yourself!
And sooner or later, you’ll be cutting away in your kitchen with your very own knife set!
- Best Knife Sets Under $50 (Updated List)
- What To Consider When Buying
- Product Reviews